Thursday, September 30, 2010

new job

So, I did not want to write about this earlier because I did not want to jinx it. But:

I got a job at Victoria's Secret!

I went to the Columbia job fair, and they were the first booth I went to. I talked to the women there, who like immediately set up an interview. And I was ecstatic! Of course no other booths there were as exciting or eventful.

I had the interview last Tuesday. It is the Victoria's Secret in Water Tower Place, on North Michigan Avenue. When I went there I don't really know what I was expecting, but soon after I realized there were many girls and they all looked very anxious. That was not even the part that threw me. Later, the manager comes up and starts to talk to all of us, asking questions and saying how we are going to move into the back room.

It was a group interview. I had not even thought about that, but I guess it makes sense. I mean, they had a job fair and I'm sure got a lot of girls who 'really want it'!

But I thought I gave pretty good answers and I talked to the woman after about availability. And two days later she called and left a message saying she wanted to talk more!

I called her back, and realized it is REALLY HARD to get ahold of her. It three days until we actually talked on the phone, and she asked me to call her the next day. I was disappointed, because I really just wanted to KNOW! But I called her the next day, not really expecting to get through. But I did, she asked for about references, just double-checking them. And I guess she called them, called me back like ten minutes later, and offered me the position! She offered $8.50 an hour and welcomed me to the team!

I start training next Wednesday, and I hope I get my work schedule then. I do not work Thanksgiving day, but the day right after it I do. And I work the week before and of Christmas, but I'm hoping not the actual day(s). Meaning "Eve" and "Day". Who knows? Probably boxing day though. Kinda sucks but I need money, and I've finally broken into the retail business!

LOVE. <3

6 comments:

LIT said...

WOW! What a surprise. I routinely check all the family blogs every night, but there are seldom any new entries, but tonight there was. Congratulations, and I hope you find this a very rewarding experience.

Working through the holidays may suck, but income does not. Maybe I'll be able to visit you either going to D.C. or coming home. I'm taking Amtrak to D.C., and there is a layover in Chicago where I change trains. Will your apt. be available to you during that time?

Hey! If you're in Chicago during the holidays, maybe your family can bring the big day to you. I certainly like the idea of delivering my Christmas gifts in person rather than paying postage.

Love you.

P.S. When I find out my new size, I'll let you look for something for me, and believe it or not, I have a credit with Victoria's Secret (It's years old), but it should still be good. They've been using my money for years.

Rake said...

That would be awesome if you could visit! I would like to be not alone as often as possible. And yes, my apartment will be available.

:) LOVE. <3

Goo said...

Congratulations on the new job! Retail Crhistmases are a rite of passage I think everyone needs to experience twice. There's a history of successful salesmanship in the family, so I have no doubt you'll do well. Hugs and kisses!

LIT said...

1. As the "new hire" count on working Christmas Eve and possibly the day after Christmas; then if your schedule is different you can be thrilled.

2. Make sure you master the return/exchange procedure of V.'s Secret before Christmas because you'll really get a work-out after.

3. Glad you will have your digs open during the holidays, and I'm sure there will be others there too who are working through the holiday time or unable to go home. A good time to get to know some others in the bldg. and come up with some creative celebration activities.

4. When it's closer to the time for my trip I'll try to find out where you'll be during the hours I'm in Chi. Then we can see whether I'm a "shopper" or a visiting grandmother and make a plan. (I love having a plan, and, with luck, I won't have a sprained wrist and all parts of my body will be functioning appropriately.)

5. Be sure to read my recent blog as you'll find a big surprise there. (At least I think it's a big surprise.)

Love you.

Rake said...

Goo, I like how you said that it is something one should experience twice. :D

Lit, I very much look forward to you being here, and yes, that is a very good tip about knowing the return policy.

LOVE.

LIT said...

So, how's the job going? Are you ringing up sales with confidence?

I checked out V.'s Secret web page and was surprised to find they now have outer wear, dresses, tops, bottoms, etc. Boy, have I been out of the loop. I've always thought of V's Secret as a lingerie store. HELLO!

Love you.

Oh yeah, classes too---how's that going?