Sunday, September 12, 2010

Classes

So this past week was the first week of classes.

My first one was Writing & Rhetoric, which I thought I wouldn't like because I really don't like writing essays. But we only really have four essays in that class. So that's awesome. I really like my teacher, she actually reminds me of Goo. She's talkative (in a good way), and peppy, and is really interested in lots of things.

Then I had Voice Training which is really what I expected. Reading out loud, improving diction and forming your voice to sound like "Standard American English". We also lay on the floor and practice breathing, and we yell at the wall. Pretty fun.

Next is Body Movement. Wow, ok, so I can't even try to hide the name of my teacher, it's just too good: Precious. She's such a hippie, and she wears the weirdest clothes, and she's such a scatterbrain, she's just all over the place. But it's a cool class. Lots of running, laying on the floor breathing, touching ourselves and others.

End of day one and I'm digging art school. Most of my teachers are weird, and all of them introduced themselves by their first name, which I wasn't expecting. Pretty cool.

Now the next day was different. I had First Year Seminar which I still don't get the point of the class, and it seems like just another English class. And my teacher is kind of...pretentious. Well, that was my first impression of him anyway. Also, freshman are just dumb. Like that class feels like High School again, no one challenges themselves, or thinks deeply. Ugh.

Last, but my favorite class, Acting 1. Best teacher, and funnest activities. We walked around and changed our "purpose", then made tableau(s), then made and solved a human knot with our eyes closed (and I was the leader, thank you very much). It's so great.

I also had two auditions this week! Man, the amount of opportunities here!

5 comments:

jaz said...

College should be a fantastic experience. There are always classes that make you wonder if the administration thinks the students are all yutzes. Often they try to disguise them as required orientation courses. I remember sitting through sessions about how to position your desk in your dorm room for optimum study, whether or not to listen to music (they said not to, as it would distract), and how important it is to share letters and phone calls with family to keep from getting homesick.

LIT said...

1. O.K. Got to get this off my chest. If you are "laying" on the floor I hope you are producing eggs. Otherwise, you are "lying" on the floor. And you "lie" on the floor to practice breathing. (Lie---to put one's body in a prone position [Funk & Wagnall's].

2. Your Body Movement class: It reminded me of when I was playing in This Property Is Condemned and needed to learn to do a "bump & grind". I tried and tried but couldn't get it right. Finally,I had to lie on the floor to get the abdominal movement going and had to gradually transfer it to an upright position. Had to do it all by myself. Too bad we didn't have these specific skill classes back then.

3. First Year Seminar: Check all the written material you've received about this class, and if you don't find your answer ask for an appointment with the teacher. I wouldn't advise asking this in class as it might prove embarrassing to you or the teacher. But ask him what your goal should be in this class. If you ask, " What's the point of the class?" that would be somewhat threatening, but making it a personal (to you) quest should be somewhat safe. Maybe that will give you some insight. Just a suggestion.

No doubt you're going to get lots of suggestions from everybody about everything. You'll cut your own path though, and that's very important. Hey, I just wrote about you in Jaz's blog.

College life is so exciting and freeing and a little scary once in a while. I hope you love it all and learn so much about everything, and that includes yourself.

Love you.

Goo said...

I'd chip in and say writing classes will be required until usage such as "funnest" as been drummed out of you, but this is a blog and I'll chalk it up to a tonal choice.

Lit makes a good point regarding the seminar. Plus, going to office hours and asking this sort of question earns you both brownie points and street cred. When you become actively engaged and show this kind of initiative regarding your academic experience people take notice. You aren't the student who "lies" back and expects college to just happen.

So glad to hear things are going well. I love you lots.

Rake said...

Love to you all and thanks for the advice! :D

LIT said...

What's happening now?

Remember tests come around eventually.

Love you.