Tuesday, December 21, 2010

holidays

When I was younger, I never realized why all the characters in "winter holiday" movies (whether they be Christmas, Hanukkah, etc.) were so cynical about them. I didn't realize why they all hated the holidays and found them so depressing.

Now, I'm not saying I am finding them depressing, or that I hate the holidays. At all. I am just saying that I can now start to see why those characters felt that way. I'm not depressed, but I am lonely. The people in those movies are, for some reason, reluctant to be with family. That I do not get. I want to be with family more than anything right now. So that makes me feel better, knowing I'm not at the point those characters are at.

I used to wonder why those people only saw the bad things. They were such pessimists. The holidays is about being grateful for what we do have, in comparison to what other's do or do not have. But all those characters were not grateful at all. I do not consider myself a pessimist, and I am very grateful for what I have. But I am seeing some bad things in this particular holiday. Mostly because I am noticing how others are not grateful for what they have, and it's ridiculous because they have so much.

Anyway, enough about that. Just some observations I've had. LOVE LOVE LOVE. So much!

5 comments:

LIT said...

Yeah, that's one of the drawbacks of working retail---dealing with people with more money than brains, conscience, or manners. But they have their good side too; it just isn't always easy to detect. And separation from family is a tough row to hoe as well---especially the first time around when you haven't developed strategies for that. But you will. Ask Goo; she's been there.

I start my big adventure tomorrow. If we do manage to connect I should warn you that I will not be wearing make-up (can't do that for 17-18 hrs. on the train) and, consequently, will look like death-on-a-stick. Also my left eye is not clear of blood yet (the little vessel that got knocked during surgery), but there is no pain involved, and I see well with it. Anyway, it doesn't enhance my appearance either.

So, I'll be listening for a call from you on Thurs. to let me know what your status re work is. In the meantime, keep in mind that it is all going to get better re holidays, and you will find so much more joy in them than ever before. And that's a promise!

Goo said...

Part of my coping strategy is remembering that family is always with me: in my heart and mind, but also in the mirror when I see the physical traits we share, and in my voice (which sounds just like my mom and your mom), and in my speech patterns when I say something that would just as likely be said by my brothers or father.

Then I remember that family is never much more than a phone call, email, blogpost, or text message away. But we've got bad habits. All of us. We don't call or write as often as we should, and we pretend to ourselves that the mundane details of our lives aren't EXACTLY what family wants to hear about.

So we wait for the holidays to catch up. The holidays then begin to take on this weighted meaning (unrelated to the actual holiday) and we miss all the wonderful, boring stuff in between which is the stuff we all have in common: work days, and weekend plans, and all the minor events that make up our lives.

Try not to let the holidays get you down. You are loved by many, many people and are never truly alone.

Rake said...

Thank you so much, you guys. For all of the great advice, and words of wisdom. And just the fact that you comment, take the time to read the blog in the first place. Thank you. I love you.

Tazzonater said...

Merry Christmas!!

Rake said...

Merry Christmas to you too! :)