Friday, April 6, 2007

Footloose

Our high school drama director has decided on Footloose as our spring musical. I am very glad he has chosen this, but mostly I am glad he has chosen one at all. See, he is walrus look-alike, that is about 60-something years old, and he is the most unorganized, slow, indecisive person ever. It took him 3+ weeks to decide on a show, then 4 days to get through auditions, and another week and a half to get the cast list up. Then, we didn't start actual rehearsals for another week+!

But apart from that, I am really happy with the show, most of the cast list, and pretty much everything in between. Oh, did I mention the show goes up in less than a month and our first rehearsal was yesterday?

Um, if you are totally deprived and don't know anything about musical theatre at all, Footloose is about dancing... (and my part is 2 out of the three dance groups, awesome dances!)

So, our first rehearsal was yesterday, the all cast vocal part was from 3:30 to 5:30, and the dancing group that I'm in's rehearsal was from 6:30 to 9. Man am I tired. By the end of the dancing I had almost lost my voice, every muscle in my legs were/are permanently flexed, I had huge scratches on my arm, my stomach was churning, my head was weightless and spinning, and I couldn't get the Footloose song out of my head. (Been working, so hard. I'm punching, my card. Eight hours, for what? Oh tell me what I got. I got this feeling that time is holding me down. I'll hit the ceiling or else I'll tear up this town. Tonight I gotta cut loose, footloose, kick of my Sunday shoes. Please, Louise, pull me off of my knees. Jack get back. Come on before we crack. Lose your blues, everybody cut footloose!) Yeah, last night was the first time I had heard the whole song and now I have it all memorized...

So, not to spoil it for those who are going to see it, but I have to tell you the super scary stunt I have to do. Luckily, my partner for it, and the whole dance, is the person I trust the most, and am most comfortable around: someone I have dated before and now are best friends. So, the stunt is a running start, holding on to one arm flip, with my legs straight up in the air! Unluckily, he has had an accident doing this exact same flip with someone much smaller. And I had to do it, like, fifty times last night (surprisingly no exaggeration there) and fell/missed a couple of times, and freaked the hell out of my partner. Oh and another thing, this is going to be done with another couple, and we are running/flipping toward eachother..... I hate roller-coasters!

But other than that the dance is totally cool and fun. Not that that isn't cool or fun, it's just SCARY! The dance is pretty ronchy and sexual, so awesome! I love the choreagrapher, she is young and really funny. A really good dancer, even though she isn't built like a dancer, and SO fun. Really easy going, but knows how to work, teach, and boogie down!!!

Basically I am really pumped! Especially because it is set in the 80's so we are going to have big hair, TIGHT leather pants, and everything and anything in between. Not to mention that that dance is only part of one scene, and it is making me SO happy!!

Oh, and I am most likely joining the pitiful JV soccer team, because they don't even have enough players to fill the field, not to mention subs. Suddenly, I am unbelievably busy.....

2 comments:

Palindrome said...

You and Kendell do the dance very well. It's pretty hot. I wish I could do a sexy dance, but I'm a conservitive anti-dance preacher. Oh well I guess that's what Prom is for.

Dagromm said...

Thank God for soccer!!! No sexy dances there.