Sunday, March 21, 2010

published

So, news!

I entered a poetry contest and I'm a topical winner. I'm not a national winner, so I don't get considered for the scholarship, meaning I don't get money. But I do get published in an anthology titled "Of Faith and Inspiration". So I get to put it on my resume, and it gives me confidence; you know, I feel like I'm good at poetry. Here's the poem I submitted:

Look

We live in a world with love.
Though people are more disgusted
By public displays of affection,
Than public displays of violence.

People look away
From people kissing;
But gravitate towards
A pointless fight.

Look at Love. Resist Hate.

We live in a world with color.
Colors of beautiful seasons:
A changing leaf, flower.
Colors of beautiful people:
The natural eye, hair.

But people look down,
When they walk,
When they talk,
When they look.

Look at Life. Resist Disconnect.

Look at Love. Look at Life. Look.

10 comments:

Goo said...

I'm very proud of you! You know you're at least a third (fourth?) generation poet. GG was a poet, although she was very quiet about it. I won a few poetry competitions in school and continue to write poetry; these days my poetry leans toward the sacred. Now you, too. So cool the way things run in families.

I particulary like the first and fourth stanzas. Nice exploration of your theme and good use of parallelism.

Keep it up!

Tazzonater said...

Nice I love your poem!

Tazzonater said...

I was talking to daggs and he said that Mildred,GG, and you wrote poetry, so I think Rake would be the fourth.

Rake said...

Awesome. You gotta love family. And thanks. :) <3

LIT said...

I love the positive voice of your poem. So different what we hear more often these days, or maybe I'm listening to too many political voices. Your poem gives me confidence in the future.

Love you.

LIT said...

Ooops! Insert "from" after different.

Rake said...

Thank you so much. That makes me happy. :)

Tazzonater said...

I like how you put both sides of the poem like how your comparing love and hate.

plug said...

That's my girl!!

jaz said...

Fantastic! Congrats on the recognition--but even more on the creativity and the willingness to share your creations.